I used to eat Ham and Mayo Twirls from Bakers Delight all the time back in New Zealand. Since I know how to make bread, I decided to make some of my own. It was sooooo yummy!
Ham Mayo and Cheese Rolls (tangzhong method)
(makes 6 in a 8" tube pan)
Ingredients - bread:
240g bread flour
60g cake flour
60g flour paste (tangzhong)
30g butter (softened)
Ingredients - filling:
Preparation: Don't forget to make the tangzhong beforehand and cool down to room temperature. Click here for the tangzhong recipe.
- Put all of the bread ingredients, except butter into a mixing bowl. Make sure that the yeast doesn't directly touch the salt.
- When everything is nearly incorporated, add the butter.
- Knead the dough until it becomes very elastic and smooth. The dough is ready when you can stretch the dough to a thin membrane.
- Grease a bowl with some oil, put the bread dough inside. Cover with some cling wrap and proof the dough until double in size. I like to place the bread dough into the microwave with a cup of hot water. To check that the dough is ready or not, insert your floured finger into the middle of the bread dough, if the hole stays there then it is ready.
- Push the air out of the bread dough. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll the bread dough to 20cm by 30cm. Turn over the bread dough, now the 'ugly' side of the bread dough is on top.
- Spread the mayo, cheese and ham evenly onto the bread dough.
- Roll the bread dough towards yourself. Use some water to seal the ends of the bread dough. Divide the dough into six equal portions. Grease the 8" tube pan. Put the rolls into the pan and proof for the second time until double in size or until it reaches 90% of the height of the tin. You can place it in the oven at 40C or in the microwave with a glass of hot water.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top of the bread rolls.
- Bake in a pre - heated oven at 170C for 15 minutes. Transfer onto a wire rack to let cool.
Enjoy these rolls! Yummy yummy yum!