Butter Cake (pound cake)
(makes 3 16cm small loaf cakes)
230g butter (softened)
3 eggs (room temperature)
2 tsp baking powder
- Cream the butter until it 'flys', meaning that it sticks to the sides of the bowl. The butter should now be softer and creamier. The colour is pale yellow.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. It should be double in volume and the mixture has a whitish colour.
- Lightly whisk the eggs. Add them into the mixture in 8 - 10 portions. Adding the eggs in small amounts avoids curdling. Each portion is around 1 Tbsp. Each time you add a portion, beat for around 15 seconds and scrape the sides before you add the next portion. If the mixture starts to curdle, add 2 tablespoons of flour into it.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder. Use the beaters to beat until it nearly combines.
- Add the milk.
- Place the batter into the 3 loaf pans. Drop them a few times to allow the air bubbles to escape. Bake in a pre - heated oven at 180C for 30 - 35 minutes. When the cakes have risen which takes around 15 - 20 minutes. Open the oven door, use a knife and slice through the middle. This allows the cakes to crack nicely.