Plain White Scones (fluffy and soft)
Before I began to list out the ingredients. To make fluffy and soft scones, you need very cold butter, eggs, milk and a big mixing bowl from the fridge.
400g cake flour (sifted)
4 tsp baking powder (sifted)
4g salt (approx. 1 tsp)
The ingredients below needs to come out from the fridge, COLD:
- Mix the cake flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together (the dry ingredients). Rub the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Lift up your hands so you can incorporate more air into it.
- Add the eggs and milk. Mix until it just combines. The dough is now sticky and wet.
- Using your hands, gently shape the dough until it just combines. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Divide, fold and pat the dough. Repeat this process three times. At this stage, the dough feels very bouncy when you pat it. For the last time, you pat the dough to 2.5cm of thickness. Shape the dough to approximately 20cm x 15cm.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. When you divide it, flour the cutter and cut straight down. Place them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. They are 1 inch apart.
- Brush some milk. Bake in a pre - heated oven at 200C oven for 12 - 15 minutes. When the scones come out of the oven, the top and bottom should be golden brown. Gently tap the bottom of the scones and they should sound hollow. Transfer onto a wire rack to let cool.
I love to eat my scones with cream and butter! YUM YUM!! I like raspberry jam on top. What jam do you like on top of your scones?