There were recipes that used a lot of sugar and oil which is kind of unhealthy. I wanted the cake to be less unhealthy but at the same time I wanted the cake to be very yummy and moist. So, I have combined a few recipes to make my own recipe.
For this recipe, I have substituted some of the sugar and oil with yoghurt and crushed pineapple. I have also replaced the white sugar with brown sugar so I could make a very moist cake. Light or brown sugar will do, I used light brown sugar because that was what I had when I baked the cake.
I grated the carrots very finely so there won't be chunks or strips of carrot in the cake. If the carrots are grated finely, I find that it is easier to blend into the cake. On the day that I filmed, the supermarket didn't have any cans of crushed pineapple so I used a can of sliced pineapple and crushed them myself.
Everyone has a carrot cake recipe of their own. I hope you will try my carrot cake recipe. This is my favourite and best carrot cake recipe.
Here's a warning: You will fall in love with it!
Cafe Style Carrot Cake
(makes a tall 8 inch cake)
Ingredients: Carrot Cake
250g grated carrots
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
200g brown sugar
180g vegetable oil
130g natural plain yoghurt
130g crushed pineapple (from a can)
Ingredients: Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
120g cream cheese (softened)
70g butter (softened)
half a lemon
Method: Carrot Cake
- Grate the carrots.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon together. Sift the mixture.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil and yoghurt together.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour. Add the wet ingredients into it.
- Fold the grated carrots and crushed pineapple into the mixture.
- Bake in a pre - heated oven at 160C for 1 hour 10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Method: Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Grate the lemon for the zest and squeeze out the lemon juice.
- Mix together the cream cheese, butter, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth.
- Make sure that the carrot cake has completely cooled down. Spread the frosting evenly on top of the cake. Decorate the cake with some halved walnuts.